The reason that mosquitoes are attracted to humans is because they want to suck our blood. The way that they find us is by detecting the Co2 that we breathe out. That is why this mosquito trap works so well. It uses Co2 for bait. Mwa Ha Ha!
1st Gather your Supplies
- 1 2 liter soda bottle
- Sharp knife
- Black paper
- Candy thermometer
2nd Cut the top off the soda bottle and invert it
Cut the top off right at the place before it starts to narrow. This is important. If you cut it too high the top can fall inside the bottom. Once you cut the top off, turn it over and place the spout down in the bottom half. Now, tape the seam with any tape that you have. Clear looks the neatest.
3rd Make a simple sugar syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups cool water
- 1 tsp. active dry yeast
- Bring on cup of water to a good boil.
- Pour the sugar into the boiling water. (Careful)
- Once you can see the sugar is dissolved completely, take the pan off the heat.
- Stir in two cups of cold water. Make sure that you stir it completely.
- Let the solution cool down to 90 degrees F
- Add 1 teaspoon active dry yeast, you don’t have to mix.
- Pour the syrup into the bottle using the inverted top like a funnel.
- The fermenting yeast will release carbon dioxide. Put black paper around the bottle since mosquitoes like dark places and carbon dioxide. This mosquito trap will then start working. You can decorate the paper if you want to make it look cute.
TIPS: Put the trap in a dark and humid place, near by where you and your family hang out, for 2 weeks. You’ll see the effect. You’ll have to replace the sugar water + yeast solution every 2 weeks.