The following instructions for a Bird and Deer Proof Netting Enclosure were written by one of our dearest customers by the name of Marvin Nuaman. So thank you Marvin for the great idea sharing.
Knitted Bird Netting Enclosure
This Garden Bird & Deer proof Cage was constructed by first getting some used well pipe from a well driller, clean & painted it, drove the next size bigger size well pipe (Stakes) into the soil to act as sleeve’s for the net poles (well pipe). Corner & sleeve joints are panted PVC Fittings. Then added 4′ high fence material (for deer & rodent protection) at the base. Then we put American Bird Netting over the top and sides over lapping the fence 1-2′ for a bird proof fit. We used American Netting Clips to attach the netting to the fence for easy assembly and removal each Spring & Fall. We added a modified metal gate from a farm supply house for easy human access. We love it.
One NOTE: This started out as a good neighbor thing. One finding better ways of doing something. We both tried various things. first to keep the deer out. and then the birds. This garden has a Bird side and a deer side. Things escalated with the growing deer population. I decided to cover the whole garden with PVC pipe and stitching small netting together from a local store. Then my neighbor like it so well. he copied me using metal well pipe. The PVC pipe worked ok for 3 seasons but required maintenance and would bend and was a pain. so I took my neighbors idea and improved on it even more especially in the joints and adding real farm gates. One I modified by making it higher and adding bird proof wire and it makes a bird proof fit to the pipe frame (no welding or drilling was done on the gate modification). My neighbor loves it so well he’s modifying his rig this summer.
While we were at it. we moved 5 very established Blue Berry plants, and added 1-10 yard dump truck of 5 & 1 soil mix. Our Raised beds came from used treated decking that my neighbor was rebuilding for his son.
The raised beds really made a big difference in our very healthy crop this year. we were amazed. Even our relocated Blue Berries that had been pruned at least 50% for the transplant gave us a healthy plentiful crop.